Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"It looks like a decapitated dog"


This is my sculpture project for my 3D design class! Took me forever to complete. I spent 20 hours working on the last phase (the biggest sculpture) on last saturday and sunday alone... I lost track of how many hours I spented working on it on thursday and friday, so I put in way more than 20 hours!

Anyways, the assignment was an exercise in exterior and interior space. The assignment objective was to create three sculptures, having the first sculpture demonstrating outer skin, the second sculpture being twice the size of the previous step and demonstrating interior planes, and the third and final step being twice the size of the second step and demonstrating a combination of outer skin and interior planes.

My first step. We had to create five shapes with bristol board/poster board and glue them togethor to create an interesting composition. I used two eight-sided diamons, a triangle, and two other random shapes. I just created a random form, and was happy when I realized that my final product looked like a talon or claw... in my opinion. Kevin thinks it looks like a giraffe, and my professor said it looked like a decapitated dog. lawl.


The second phase. The same form of the first phase, only twice the size and displaying only interior cross sections. The picture doesn't do it justice... you really have to hold it in your hand to really appreciate the planning and work that went into creating this piece. The whole thing is slot-contructed, so there's no glue holding the planes together. You can basically take apart the whole entire sculpture if you wanted to. Each plane works with one another and combines the shapes into one solid form; I didn't just make five different shapes and glue them all togethor, this thing is one piece except for the two diamonds in the front.

My third and final phase, demonstrating the combination of interior planes and exterior skin. Extremly challenging. The whole sculpture was created using slot-contruction, but then I had to use hot glue to attach the exterior planes. The shapes are more solid and can't be taken apart to their slot-contructed pieces, but the main shapes (excluding the top shape) can be removed from the main spine of the sculpture, allowing you to break down the sculpture for transportation. The class was in awe when I took apart and reassembled my sculpture in front of them :p


This is one of the main planes in the lower-rear shapes being prepared for slot contruction. A lot of measuring, but a lot neater than just gluing the whole thing.

This is the main plane, or spine as I like to call it, of the third phase's sculpture. this is the most important piece in the sculpture since all of the other shapes are attached to it.


Contruction of the third phase sculpture.

Slot construction in progress.


Gluing of exterior planes to the back shape.

Final products. Hey look! a family of giraffes! or decapitated dogs, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment