Friday, May 8, 2009

"Is that for an art project or for recycling?"

"Both! :D" I replied to the lady inquiring about my 3D design project. The goal of this assignment was to demonstrate density. Our form had to be made up of objects that had a theme. The theme I chose was a recycling plant, hence all the plastic bottles... but I can actually spin a second theme if I wanted to: water/drinks my household consumes in the span of a couple weeks.


My professor wanted us to create a form that looked as if it had its own gravitational field, or a central point that is pulling everything into it. The photos don't do it justice, but the sculpture looks as if it is floating and that there's a central point sucking in all these plastic bottles and crushing and compacting them the closer they get to the center.

This project was challenging because my sculpture would fall apart in between working sessions, so it was like taking 3 steps forward and 2 steps back every time I would go back to work on the sculpture. Hot gluing plastic bottles together is tougher than it looks... I actually don't know it the sculpture will hold together till monday... hopefully it does.



Now I just need to figure out how to get it to class in one piece.

EDIT: So it turns out my sculpture wasn't able to hold itself together until monday. I've been checking up on it every once in awhile, but upon closer inspection today I discovered that one of the supporting legs broke. It was tough, but I was able to fix it and even add more bottles to it.



Oh yea, my Teefury shirt arrived a acouple days ago! I was really impressed, but I have to make a note not to make my designs too detailed, or at least make the details larger. Some of the design's finer details were lost because they were just too small when it came to printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment